Teampull Mor refers to one of the medieval structures found at Howmore, believed to have originally been built in the thirteenth century ([simple_tooltip content='Stell, G. 2014. ‘Castle Tioram and the MacDonalds of Clanranald: A Western Seaboard Castle in Context’, Oram (ed.), The Lordship of the Isles, 271-96; Reynolds, A., Hamilton, M. and Raven, J. 2004. ‘Howmore ecclesiastical complex’, Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 5, 139–40.']Stell 2014, 294; Reynolds, Hamilton, and Raven 2004, 139[/simple_tooltip]). The eastern wall of the parish church is still visible (see header). The interpretation of the specific element as pn Mary would be consistent with the [simple_tooltip content='OPS = Origines Parochiales Scotiae: the Antiquities Ecclesiastical and Territorial of the Parishes of Scotland vol.2, 1854. (Edinburgh).']OPS (368)[/simple_tooltip] statement that there was a church at Howmore dedicated to Saint Mary.
See Howmore for the full discussion of this place-name.
- Grid reference: NF758364
G Teampull Mòr
[simple_tooltip content='Scottish Gaelic']G[/simple_tooltip] teampall ‘a church, temple’ + [simple_tooltip content='Scottish Gaelic']G[/simple_tooltip] mòr ‘big, great, large’ or [simple_tooltip content='personal name']pn[/simple_tooltip] Mary
(‘The Great/Big Church’ or ‘St Mary’s Church’)
[simple_tooltip content='Six-inch 1st edition Ordnance Survey Maps of Scotland, 1843-1882 <https://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch/index.html>.']OS 6-inch[/simple_tooltip] Teampull Mòr (Ruins)