Caibeal Dhiarmaid refers to one of the structures found at Howmore. The church may originally have been known as Teampull Chaluim Chille which would account for [simple_tooltip content='Martin, M. 1703. A Description of the Western Islands of Scotland (London).']Martin’s (1703, 88)[/simple_tooltip] statement that ‘The Churches here [in South Uist] are St. Columba and St. Mary’s in Hogh-more’. This is one of the structures at Howmore which may originally have been built before the thirteenth century.
- Grid reference: NF758364
[simple_tooltip content='Scottish Gaelic']G[/simple_tooltip] caibeal ‘a chapel’ + [simple_tooltip content='personal name']pn[/simple_tooltip] Diarmaid
(‘St Diarmaid’s Chapel’)
[simple_tooltip content='Martin, M. 1703. A Description of the Western Islands of Scotland (London).']1703 Martin[/simple_tooltip] ?St. Jeremy’s Chapel
[simple_tooltip content='Six-inch 1st edition Ordnance Survey Maps of Scotland, 1843-1882 <https://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch/index.html>.']OS 6-inch[/simple_tooltip] Caibeal Dhiarmaid (Ruins of)